UPDATE 22/10/2013: we’ve now submitted our first draft to Aurum Press and may not be able to make further changes and additions to the text without begging and pleading with our editor.
But… for future blog posts and articles, we’d still like answers to the questions below, so do still get in touch.
And… we’re definitely still interested in finding pictures which we can suggest to our publishers for possible inclusion.
* * *
We’re writing a book
title to be confirmed called Brew Britannia: the strange rebirth of British beer, about how British beer came back from the brink in the period from 1963 to the present. With that in mind… We really, really want to find a copy of Nicholas (Nick) Redman’s 48 page booklet recounting the history of SIBA. We’re willing to pay, or to swap, e.g., some duplicate vintage copies of the Good Beer Guide we’ve collected.Got one! Does anyone remember a pub called the Brahms & Liszt on East Parade in Leeds? It was owned, we understand, by a group of Leeds United players.MYSTERY SOLVED!
- Did you drink at the Barley Mow in St Albans from 1976-1980? Did you know John and Betty Blackwell? Are you a friend or relative of theirs? (We’ve spoken to local CAMRA members who know them, but more information would be great.)
- We’d love to get in touch with any friends of relatives of Arthur Millard, first President of the Society for the Preservation of Beers from the Wood. He lived in Surrey (Epsom), and had connections with Richmond. He worked at the Bank of England for almost forty years. We understand from his obituary that he had a daughter and grandchildren.
- The other founders of the SPBW are a bit of a mystery. We have their names, but that’s all: Dougie Chamberlain, Boyes Lee, Gerry Smith, Penri Thomas, John Gore and
John Keeble. (UPDATE 27/07/2013: We’re now in touch with John Keeble!) Any friends or relatives who might have stories or information to share, please get in touch. Whatever became of Patrick Fitzpatrick who founded Godson’s brewery in East London (Clapton, then Bow) in 1977? Did you know him or anyone else involved with that brewery?MYSTERY SOLVED! Is anyone in touch with Martin Sykes or Basil Savage of the Selby Brewery?UPDATE: we’re now in contact with Martin Sykes. Paul Leyton ran the Miner’s Arms in Priddy, where brewing began in 1973. We think Julian Leyton, who wrote an obituary in the Independent, is his son. Does anyone know or have contact details for Julian Leyton?We’re now in touch with Julian Leyton.
- Did you drink at Becky’s Dive Bar in Southwark in the 1970s? Did you know Rebecca ‘Becky’ Willeter before or after her time at the Dive?
- We’d love to track down Grant W. Corby who took the photos of Becky’s Dive Bar Brian Schwartz provided for our blog post. They’re fantastic pictures but we wouldn’t want to use them without his permission.
- We’re interested in reading personal tasting notes for beers from Mash & Air (Manchester, 1996-2000), the Selby Brewery, the Litchborough Brewery, the Firkin chain, and any other significant breweries 1963-2013.
- Do you have photos of the interiors of Firkin pubs from the 1980s, before they were sold to Allied? We’re especially interested in seeing pictures of the Goose & Firkin, Borough Road. We wouldn’t necessarily want to reproduce them, just to see them.