We’re going to spend the next few weeks tasting saisons.
Last autumn, we played a bunch of porters off against one other and learned a lot in the process. Now that spring is in the air, we’ve decided to turn our attention to a brighter, lighter, more refreshing variety of beer which we still find somewhat mysterious.
The aim of this project, insofar as it has one, is to come up with a short-list of British saisons we can recommend wholeheartedly, but perhaps also to answer a nagging question: can any of them really compete with Saison Dupont, the Belgian original that arguably defines the style, on taste and value for money?
So far, we have bought bottles of:
- Brew by Numbers 01/08 Saison Wai-iti and Lemon
- By the Horns Vive La Brett
- Celt Hallstatt Deity
- Ilkley Siberia Rhubarb Saison
- Partizan Saison Lemon and Thyme
- Partizan Saison Lemongrass
- Siren Ratchet Blended Saison
- Wild Beer Epic Saison
- Wild Beer Wild Goose Chase
And (offered, not asked for…) we will also be including free samples of:
- BrewDog Electric India
- Burning Sky Saison à la Provision
- Hop Kettle Ginlemlii (thanks, @landells!)
- Adnams/Magic Rock The Herbalist
If there are any beers you think we absolutely must include, let us know in the comments below, but we only have budget to place ONE more online order, so a lot will depend on which single retailer has the widest range available.
Of course that means that this will not be a comprehensive taste-off of every single UK-brewed saison — what are we, the British Board of Saison Classification? — but hopefully the pool will be large enough to draw some useful conclusions.