These are the Tweets that made us laugh or think in the last 12 months.
Some are from people who write mostly about beer, others are from outside The Bubble, but they all prompted us to either click the Retweet button or include them in our weekly links round-ups.
For more of this kind of thing follow us @boakandbailey and if you see anything below that tickles you, give it a Like or an RT. If these people are anything like us, it’ll cheer them right up.
1. Craig Garvie brought us this horror which made us wonder why they don’t just roll the bottle round in some hair and toenail clippings and be done.
2. We’re surprised we haven’t seen more of this kind of thing to be honest. It’s hard to stop looking at.
3. This from Bryan Roth made us feel faintly guilty. In a good way.
Cool thing about beer tasting is you can say a crazy-disgusting descriptor, but as long as you end with "but in a good way," all is clear.
— BryanDRoth (@BryanDRoth) September 7, 2016
4. Cartoonist Tom Gauld came up with this great selection of science-themed pub signs for New Scientist.
5. Twitter has generally been a good place to stumble across pub- and beer-themed art lately. This painting by Mandy Payne, inspired by Park Hill in Sheffield, really spoke to us in the throes of our estate pub obsession.
— Mandy Payne (@mandypayne24) May 30, 2016
6. These Intoxicants Project Tweets have been delightful — it turns out there are so many more creative ways to get into a scrap than, ‘Are you looking at my bird?’
— Intoxicants Project (@intoxproject) June 13, 2016
7. We once had a beer with what looked like Michael Gove on the label but…
Snog, er, not playing this game anymore. pic.twitter.com/5yIVeJf0En
— Dani (@ozgirlabroad) August 9, 2016
8. Local archives are often worth watching because, every once in a while, they’ll drop something like this…
Oktoberfest is over but Sfk has lots of tempting breweries. These images of Adnams are from 1969-1978 (SROLT 1176) pic.twitter.com/eUmY2UKEzu
— Suffolk Archives (@KeyToThePast) October 11, 2016
9. Or this.
The George Tavern, Commercial Road in 1969; a recently-digitised 35mm slide; with apologies for lack of image yesterday. pic.twitter.com/IETVvKqoAq
— Tower Hamlets Archives (@LBTHArchives) December 20, 2016
10. There was weirder food than this in pubs 40 years ago (kipper pizza!) but as a symbol of cultures colliding, this is hard to beat.
Just seen an A-board advertising a "ploughman's burrito".
— Tony Naylor (@naylor_tony) October 25, 2016
11. These nuggets of Mandarin from @GreatHopForward have been landing throughout the year, much to our enjoyment.
#MBWOTD Today's Mandarin beer word of the day is wéiyěnà lāgé | 维也纳拉格. This is Chinese for 'Vienna lager'.
— GreatHopForward 中国精酿 (@GreatHopForward) October 16, 2016
12. This lovely vignette says a lot about Britain, pubs and the mysteries of pub etiquette.
13. Here’s a snapshot of what’s going on in Germany in 2016 which you don’t need much German to get.
1996: Zwei Bier!
2006: Zwei Schöfferhofer Pink Grapefruit!
2016: Einmal das Maisel & Friends IPA und das Crew Republic Foundation Pale Ale!
— Peter Wittkamp? (@diktator) November 3, 2016
14. Meanwhile, in Poland…
Pub near where I'll stay in Warsaw has a "New England Pale Ale" (i.e., it's a cloudy one).
Its name: Hop Jizz.
OK Poland, let's do this.
— Joe Stange (@Thirsty_Pilgrim) November 15, 2016
15. We named Dina (@msswiggy) Tweeter of the Year in our Golden Pints email newsletter because, for example…
If anyone half pint for the ladys me tomorrow, I will chug a pint of imperial stout mark my fuckin' words
— Ms Swiggy (@msswiggy) July 8, 2016
16. An acute observation that, as you can see, struck a chord:
Do you have a shit joke but want it to go viral? Write it on a chalk board outside a pub and take a photo of it
— Adam Hess (on tour) (@adamhess1) November 11, 2016
17. This induced serious jealousy on our part — what a lovely thing!
New addition to the living room: pic.twitter.com/CaFJhnERm4
— The Beer Nut (@thebeernut) October 30, 2016
18. Fred Waltman has a simple formula: he Tweets pictures of the beers he is drinking. Often the same beer, in fact — Uerige Sticke in Düsseldorf. Look at this Schumacher Alt, though. Following Fred is like being permanently on holiday.
19. This is a characteristic glimpse into another culture from Norwegian blogger and writer Lars Marius Garshol.
Beer tasting glove and cup, for the winter beer tastings outside (yes, seriously) pic.twitter.com/fcch3ehssC
— Lars Marius Garshol (@larsga) January 10, 2016
20. A glimpse behind the magic explains why beer industry folk are always behaving so oddly when photographed.
Had to share, many of you will appreciate this. pic.twitter.com/r2t1WvtOuK
— Simply Hops (@SimplyHops) October 5, 2016
21. Twitter poet Brian Bilston addresses the subject of beer mats, on a beer mat.
— Brian Bilston (@brian_bilston) September 22, 2016
22. Film critic Guy Lodge brought us news of the ultimate home bar setup.
I thought I knew what I was looking for in my London property search, but this one really changes everything. pic.twitter.com/h2EfotgHI9
— Guy Lodge (@GuyLodge) September 20, 2016
23. Here’s a useful new bit of terminology from TV historian Louis Barfe.
24. And a new word that nobody wants or needs.
25. ‘Overheard in the Pub’ is one of our favourite sub-genres and this is a corker:
A guy in here flexing his sourbeermuscles. "Yeah I'll have sour beer, not bothered if it's warm, I love sour beer, it can't be sour enough"
— belgiangatorade (@broadfordbrewer) August 5, 2016
26: From the same Tweeter in a different guise, the depressing truth in cartoon form.
Planning a night out at the pub… pic.twitter.com/tgjNwgG1Wq
— beerdoodles (@beerdoodles) July 21, 2016
26. Burgher at Tavern With Chickens, Van Klomp, Rotterdam, 1623.
Pub 854, the kind of hen do I can deal with. Crown in Lofthouse. pic.twitter.com/KLu3YzW2Rn
— Simey BRAPA Everitt (@StymieSi) April 2, 2016
27. Social realist tasting notes are another sub-genre we enjoy. Here’s one we collected back in January:
"It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree"
— Matthew Howgate (@mh_brewer) January 15, 2016
28. And, finally, from only a couple of weeks ago but still topical, this from @PilotBeerUK prompted at least one oblivious soul to make the obvious correction. People can’t help themselves, can they?