- How we use Twitter.
- Our views on blogging etiquette.
- About samples and PR. (NB. we are not currently accepting samples.)
We write under the names Jessica Boak and Ray Bailey, and live in Bristol. We use pen names because when we started blogging, we worked in jobs where it wasn’t encouraged, but now we’ve just got to like them. (Our real names are Slack and Newman respectively, in case you’re interested.) We’ve been blogging about beer since 2007. Our first book, Brew Britannia: the strange rebirth of British beer, came out in 2014 and our second, 20th Century Pub, in 2017.
Darren Norbury actually interviewed us, if you still want to know more.
Who does what?
- We manage the blog and Twitter account jointly and currently (as of January 2021) have writing and editing duties split about 50/50. Ray does most of the graphics and photography.
- There have been times in the past when one or the other of us has been more involved while the other was busy at work, or just a bit bored of beer. In 2010, we had our first wobble when we were both a bit disengaged at the same time, which meant the blog took a short hiatus.
- We discuss what we’ll be blogging about at breakfast, dinner and (more usually) in the pub. We both write posts and review each other’s work, which is how (we hope) we’ve achieved a fairly consistent ‘voice’.
- On the rare occasions we don’t have a corporate view, we provide individual bylines so you know that whether it’s Boak or Bailey talking.